The Chimney Of Chaves was one of the only things that remained above the dunes of an old brick and tile factory located on Chaves beach, a structure at the level of the European technology of the time with opening at the beginning of this century.
The factory, which exported mainly to West African countries, closed its doors in 1928 for reasons as yet unknown. It employed several dozen people not only from Boa Vista but also from other islands.
With a high quality product, where it ended up over the years being buried by dunes, the chimney was the only one that remained, not letting people forget that it existed.
Another project that functioned in the same beach of keys linked to the art of weaving and pottery was initiated at the end of the 50s, with the name of school of pottery of keys, but ended up extinguished due to the independence movement.