The Spanish freighter Cabo Santa Maria
The Spanish freighter Cabo Santa Maria has been stranded for 50 years on the sands of Santa Maria beach in Boa Vista. It shipwrecked in September of 1968, captained by the experienced Fernando de Solis, with a crew of 38 and 5 passengers. It carried food, gifts for General Franco and his supporters and machinery.
They left Genoa bound for Buenos Aires, calling at various ports in the Mediterranean, as well as in the Canaries and a stop at the Port of Santos, Brazil.
The Cabo Santa Maria was a modern ship, equipped with advanced electronic navigation and a very experienced crew on the Mediterranean-South America route. It was built in 1957, in the large shipyards of Cartagena by the company Bazán de Construcciones Navales.
The wrecks of Cabo Santa Maria have become a symbol of Boa Vista and Cape Verde. A source of inspiration for painters and photographers, they often illustrated postcards, books and magazines and a visit is a must for al tourists. Today, there is little remaining of the structure of the great ship due to corrosion, whipping of the waves, and weathering various storms.
The shipwreck looks like the skeleton of a majestic animal that has not yet finished its journey. After 50 years, it is time to celebrate not so much the accident, but the gift from the sea that in a time of famine fed the people of Boa Vista.