Education and schools in Boa Vista, Cape Verde

The first known teaching institution was that the Jesuit faculty of Ribeira Grande was founded in 1606, from which many parents will be seized, according to Antonio Vieira, who spent some time with them. But the Jesuits limited themselves to training priests. This year, p. Manuel Barros described his mission as a “public preaching to the condemned, the poor, the sick and the slaves, but also by teaching slaughter and the first letters to blacks.” An early testimony to the democratization of education.

Public schools have proliferated since 1817 and, at first, they only addressed primary education. The first known secondary school was founded in Brava in 1845, by order of the Bishop of Cape Verde, with 24 students (12 of whom was destined for an ecclesiastical career) in Santa Barbara, then capital of the island, but this seminary-Lyceum would to become a stable reality only in 1866 a in St. Nicholas.

Queen Maria II ordered the opening of the main green Cape school in Brava in 1847 (to the direction of which was named Lieutenant Vitorino Dantas Pereira) in order to train the teachers who were supposedly to be distributed throughout the country. Thankfully, as Brava Island became an island of poets, writers and thinkers, the governor-general opened at the beginning of 1857 a school for the teaching of arts and crafts.

In turn, the Beach was named in 1860 National Liceu of Cape Verde, with a type of education that will profoundly change the Cape Verdean society. The subjects taught at Praia are mathematics, English, French, German, Latin and Philosophy.

The lyceum of Praia closes in 1892 and passes the staff to the seminary-Lyceum of S. José, in Ribeira Brava, S. Nicolau, opening in 1866 and became a veritable nursery of writers and men of science. In 1917, the Portuguese Republic caused considerable problems for the Liceu seminary, which is closed and then reopened in the 1920s, to be closed again in the 1930s. Only in 1937, with the opening of secondary education Gil Eanes in Mindelo, high school will definitely stabilize, since the waxing in 1967 will be offset by the opening of the middle school in 1960, the Liceu de Praia, whose structures in Monte Agarro will be named after the overseas office minister Adriano Moreira and then , will independently adopt the name of a national hero, Domingos Ramos.

The successive governments of Cape Verde will accelerate the democratization of education, especially secondary, which was manifestly insufficient at the time of independence (especially given the acceleration of population growth) and now covers the whole country. The university education makes its appearance in Cape Verde with the opening of Piaget, in Praia, in 2001, followed by other universities, such as lusophony in Mindelo in 2007 and, more recently, the University of Cape Verde (UNI-CV) , which aggregates a set of facilities distributed throughout the country.